Head of the Cardiological Rehabilitation Unit
IRCCS San Raffaele Pisana, Italy
Full Professor in of Exercise Science and Medicine at San Raffaele Telematic University of Rome. Head of the Cardiac Pulmonary Department at IRCCS San Raffaele in Rome. Prof Volterrani’s main research interests include heart failure, exercise training in cardiac rehabilitation, telemedicine, hyperkalaemia and kidney failure . He is and has been principal investigator in multiple international clinical trials mainly related to heart failure.
He is a Board Member and Fellow of the Heart Failure Association (HFA) of the European Society of Cardiology and holds the following positions:
- Coordinator the Exercise Physiology and Training Committee of the HFA
- Coordinator of Endorsement Committee for Higher Educatio of the HFA
- Co-coordinator of the Registry and Epidemiology Committee of the HFA
- HFA Liaison officer of the ESC Digital Committee
- Member of the HFA Study Group on Cachexia, Sarcopenia and Frailty
- Liaison Officer for the ESC Patient Forum
- Ex-officio Member of the Council on Stroke
Prof Volterrani is also National Governor of ISCP – International Society of Cardiovascular Pharmacotherapy, member of the Italian Ministry of Health Commission for IRCCS Research Hospitals Cardiology Network and is an expert in the Scientific Advisor Group for the European Medicines Agency.
Finally, he is Editor in Chief of the Monaldi Archive for Chest Diseases, Associate Editor for the European Journal of Heart Failure and ESC Heart Failure Journal. He has authored over280 publications in national and international scientific journals with a current H-index of 49.
Prof Maurizio Volterrani is a Section Editor of Cardiac Failure Review.