Vice Chairman, Department of Cardiology
University Hospital of Zürich, Switzerland
Prof Steffel lives in Zürich, Switzerland. In his free time, Prof Steffel enjoys spending time with his wife and daughter and his hobbies include playing the piano, alpine skiing and tennis.4
Prof Steffel studied Human Medicine at the Universities of Bonn, Lausanne, Munich and Harvard.5 After graduating from Medical School, he completed his clinical training in Internal Medicine and Cardiology at the University Hospital Zürich and the Cantonal Hospital Baden, Switzerland.5 His subspecialty fellowship was at the University Hospital Zürich and the University Heart Center Leipzig, Germany.1
His primary research focus is in the field of anticoagulation for stroke prevention in atrial fibrillation as well as novel technologies in cardiac devices.1 In addition to his research and clinical activities, teaching and education are his main passions.
Prof Steffel is Vice Chairman and Professor of Cardiology at the University of Zürich, Switzerland where he is also Senior Consultant in Invasive Electrophysiology and Cardiac Devices. In 2014, he was appointed Co‐Director of Invasive Electrophysiology and Cardiac Devices at the University Hospital.4
He has over 150 publications in international and national journals and is board-certified in Internal Medicine and Cardiology. Prof Steffel holds EHRA and IBHRE Certifications in both Invasive Electrophysiology and Cardiac Devices.
He was Associate Editor for the European Heart Journal from 2012 and became Deputy Editor in 2017. He is a member of the Foederatio Medicorum Helveticorum (FMH), Swiss Society for General Internal Medicine (SGAIM), Swiss Society for Cardiology (SGK) and European Society of Cardiology (ESC).
Since 2012, Prof Steffel has been involved with the EHRA Certification Committee, which he has been co-chairing with Jens Cosedis Nielsen since 2015. He has co-authored two books on General Cardiology and Anticoagulation, as well as two iOS/Android Applications, each covering 150 multimodal multiple choice questions from the respective fields.
- 2012 - 2016: Associate Editor, European Heart Journal
- 2016 - 2018: Head of University Courses, European Heart Academy (European Society of Cardiology)
- University Hospital of Zürich
- 2015 - 2018: Leitender Arzt/Senior Consultant
- 2014 - Present: Co-Head, Invasive Electrophysiology and Devices
- 2015 - Present: Senior Physician, Clinic for Cardiology
- 2018 - Present: Vice Chairman, Dept of Cardiology; Senior Consultant Electrophysiology and Devices
- 2018 - Present: Deputy Clinic Director
- European Heart Rhythm Association
- 2015 - 2017: Co-Chair, Certification Committee
- 2017 - 2018: Co-Chair, Scientific Initiatives Committee
- 2018 - Present: Chair Education Committee
- 2016 - Present: Head of University Courses, European Heart Academy
- 2017 - Present: Deputy Editor, European Heart Journal
Areas of Speciality
- Cardiac arrhythmias
- Invasive electrophysiology
- Pacemaker, ICD, CRT therapy