Prof Michiel Rienstra and Dr Bao-Oanh Nguyen (Thoraxcentre & University of Groningen, Groningen, NL) discuss the long-term outcomes of the RACE 3 trial based on 5-year follow-up data.
The Routine Versus Aggressive Upstream Rhythm Control for Prevention of Early Atrial Fibrillation in Heart Failure (RACE 3) study showed that targeted therapy of underlying conditions improves sinus rhythm maintenance in patients with persistent AF.
1. What prompted you to conduct this study?
2. Can you describe the study design, selection criteria and endpoints?
3. What does the registry data tells us to date and should this influence clinical practice?
4. Should your findings influence further research in AF patients?
5. What would be your take-home messages for RACE 3?
6. How should the RACE 3 study influence AF guidelines?
Recorded remotely from Groningen, 2021.
Interviewer: Mirjam Boros