What's Hot at AHA22? Top 10 Late-breaking Science Trials
Stay updated on the AHA 22 late-breaking data!
In this information packed episode of the View from the Thoraxcenter, hosts Dr Joost Daemen and Prof Nicolas Van Mieghem (Thoraxcenter, Erasmus MC, Rotterdam, NL) analyse the data from 10 late-breaking trials presented at the Scientific Sessions.
- What are the key take-aways from AHA 22?
- What are the most promising findings?
- How should we understand the new data in the context of patient care?
- ISCHEMIA-EXTENDed: Follow-Up Interim Report
- TRANSFORM-HF: Comparative Effectiveness of Torsemide versus Furosemide in Heart Failure
- IRONMAN: Randomized Trial of Intravenous Ferric Derisomaltose in Heart Failure with Reduced Ejection Fraction
- ECMO-CS: Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation in the Therapy of Cardiogenic Shock
- RESPECT-EPA: Randomized Trial for Evaluating Secondary Prevention Efficacy of Combination Therapy - Statin and Eicosapentaenoic Acid
- PRECISION: Sustained Blood Pressure Lowering Effect with the Dual Endothelin Receptor Antagonist Aprocitentan in Resistant Hypertension: Results from a Randomized, Controlled Study Including a Withdrawal Phase
- BrigHTN: Results from a Phase 2, Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Trial Evaluating the Efficacy and Safety of Baxdrostat in Patients with Treatment-Resistant Hypertension
- SPYRAL HTN-ON: Effect of Radiofrequency Renal Denervation on Blood Pressure in the Presence of Antihypertensive Drugs
- EARLY-AF: Early Aggressive Invasive Intervention for Atrial Fibrillation
- DOSE VF: Double Sequential External Defibrillation for Refractory Ventricular Fibrillation
Nicolas M Van Mieghem
Dr Joost Daemen is a senior interventional cardiologist at the Thorax Center, Erasmus MC, Rotterdam, NL. Dr Daemen obtained his degree in medicine at the Erasmus University Medical Center. At present, he is participating in cathlab-related activities including complex PCI like the use of left ventricular assist devices, intracoronary imaging, cardiac physiology, and structural heart interventions including TAVI, Mitraclip, and renal sympathetic denervation.
Nicolas M Van Mieghem
Prof Nicolas Maria Van Mieghem is an Interventional cardiologist at Thoraxcenter, Erasmus MC, Rotterdam, NL decided to pursue a career that would help others. “I enjoy the feeling of being able to help someone or do something important for them". His father was a general cardiologist and one of his biggest influences early in his career.
Prof Van Mieghem initially intended to train as a cardiac surgeon but decided to specialise in interventional cardiology instead, following advice from a mentor. This decision was cemented when he read the first-in-human case report of transcatheter aortic valve implantation (TAVI) in Circulation by Alain Cribier in 2002. Prof Van Mieghem believes that great cardiologist genuinely cares for their patients. He names Gary Roubin, Dr Manu Malbrain and Professor Patrick Serruys among his mentors.
His current research focuses on cerebral embolic protection during TAVI and the search for improved large bore closure devices. He works actively in expanding TAVI indications, most notably TAVI as a means to further unload the left ventricle in heart failure patients with moderate aortic stenosis (the TAVR UNLOAD trial). Prof Van Mieghem is also involved in the development and dispersion of mechanical circulatory support (MCS) devices as well as transcatheter mitral and tricuspid repair techniques. In terms of imaging and preprocedural planning, his research has covered computed tomography (CT)-derived 3D modelling and printing.
As well as his involvement in percutaneous coronary interventions and structural heart programs, he has published and co-authored over 350 scientific papers in peer-reviewed journals. Professor Van Mieghem is a principal investigator and steering committee member in multiple ongoing international trials, evaluating various coronary and transcatheter valve technologies. He is a Fellow of the European Society of Cardiology (FESC) and is currently Medical Director of the department of Interventional cardiology at the Thorax Centre.
Prof Van Mieghem is on the ICR3 Editorial Board.