In this video, Dr Muthiah Vaduganathan (Brigham and Women's Hospital, Boston, US) shares the findings from the EMPA-REG OUTCOME trial. The goal of the trial was to assess the cardiovascular (CV) safety of empagliflozin, a sodium–glucose cotransporter 2 (SGLT-2) inhibitor, in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus (T2DM) at high risk for CV events.
1. What is the background of this study?
2. Please describe the study population.
3. What was the study design?
4. What were your findings?
5. What conclusions can be made from this data?
6. Are these effects shared across other SGLT2 inhibitors?
7. How do you think this data will impact patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus (T2DM)?
8. What are the next steps?
Recorded remotely from Boston, 2020.
Interviewer: Victoria Perroud
Recording Editor: Natascha Wienand