This multidisciplinary and highly interactive course aims to provide in-depth understanding of cardiac anatomy, with an emphasis on the surgical and echocardiographic anatomy of the mitral valve.
Providing hands on experience using fresh/frozen cadaveric material this one day course will cover:
- Assessment of mitral valve repairability using TOE
- Assessment of risk of SAM using TOE
- Surgical evaluation of the mitral valve
- Principles of valve repair and an understanding of techniques of repair
- Intraoperative decision-making
- Peri and post operative assessment of valve repair
- Ablation procedures for atrial fibrillation: anatomical basis and indications
Course work will include:
- prosection of the human heart
- hands-on instruction on TOE using simulators
- group cadaveric work with intact human thoraces, including exposure and assessment of valves in situ
- video presentations
- didactic teaching
The course is ideally suitable for cardiology, cardiac surgery and anaesthesia trainees ST3-6.