Dr C. Noel Bairey Merz is a cardiologist at Cedars-Sinai Heart Institute in Los Angeles, US. She specialises in women's heart healthcare, and currently directs the Barbra Streisand Women's Heart, Centre, the Linda Joy Pollin Women's Heart Health Program and the Preventive and Rehabilitative Cardiac Centre.
- Fellowship: Cedars Sinai, 1988
- Residency: Moffitt Hospital, University of California, San Francisco, 1985
- Internship: Moffitt Hospital, University of California, San Francisco, 1982
- Medical School: Harvard Medical School, 1981
Dr C Noel Bairey Merz focuses on heart disease in women, preventive cardiology, coronary physiology/pathophysiology, and advanced cardiac imaging, as well as alternative and complementary medicine approaches to heart disease.
Since the beginning of her career, she has focused on closing the knowledge gap to what specialists know about heart disease in women, creating programs that help women and providers learn about better healthcare practices. She currently leads the Barbra Streisand Women's Heart Centre, amplifying the specialised research for women’s health.1, 2
Dr Bairey Merz is a member of many professional organisations, including the American Heart Association (AHA), the American College of Cardiology (ACC), the NHLBI Advisory Council, the Academy of Behavioural Medicine Research, the American Society of Preventive Cardiology, the Association of Academic Women’s Health Programs, and the Association of Women’s Heart Programs.
She serves on the Board of Trustees of the ACC, where she is a fellow and is a past chair of the Prevention of Cardiovascular Disease Committee. Dr Bairey Merz has been published in numerous papers and scientific magazines and has also hosted a TED TALK focused on women's heart healthcare.
- Medical Director, Irwin and Sheila Allen in Women’s Heart Research, Barbra Streisand Women’s Heart Centre, Smidt Heart Institute, Cedars-Sinai Medical Centre
- Director, Clinical Scholars Program, Department of Biomedical Sciences, Cedars-Sinai Medical Centre
- Professor of Medicine at Cedars-Sinai Medical Centre Professional Series
- Professor in Residence at David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA
- Attending Cardiologist at Cedars-Sinai Medical Centre
- Medical Director, Preventive and Rehabilitative Cardiac Center, Smidt Heart Institute, Cedars-Sinai Medical Center3
Areas of Speciality
- General cardiology
- Cardiovascular disease
- Heart disease
- Women's cardiology
- Hopkin Heart, 2nd Annual Visiting Scholar for the Dr Pamela Ouyang Lectureship in Women’s Cardiovascular Health, Ciccarone Center for the Prevention of Cardiovascular Disease, John Hopkins, 2020
- 2020 Cedars-Sinai Medical Center Pioneer in Medicine, Annual Meeting of the Medical Staff, Cedars Sinai Medical Center, 2020
- First Prize in Cardiology – British Medical Association (BMA) Medical Book Awards 2019, The ESC Textbook of Cardiovascular Medicine, 3rd Edition and ESC CardioMed, 2019
- 18th Annual Maseri-Florio International Keynote, 68th Annual Scientific Sessions, New Orleans, Louisiana, 2019
- Member, National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute Council, 2008
Dr C Noel Bairey Merz is on the Editorial Board of European Cardiology Review.