Dean, Charité & CEO (interim) Berlin Institute of Health (BIH)
Charité Universitätsmedizin Berlin, Germany
Dr Pries passed his medical examination at the University of Cologne in Germany. In the following year, he received his doctoral degree summa cum laude. Until 1983, he worked as a Postdoctoral Fellow at the University of Cologne and then moved to the Institute of Physiology of the Freie Universität Berlin. In 1990, Dr Pries finished his habilitation and became Associate Professor in 1995. From 1997 to 1998 Axel Pries was employed as Senior Physician for Anaesthesiology at the German Heart Center Berlin (DHZB). In 1998 he became a Full professor at the Institute for Physiology of the Freie Universität Berlin and from 2001 to 2015.
Since 2015 he is Dean and member of the board of Charité hospital in Berlin, as well as member of the board of the Berlin Institute of Health (BIH) which he leads as interim CEO since 2018.
Dr Axel Pries is on the Editorial Board of European Cardiology Review.
Honors, Awards and Fellowships
- 1980 Thesis Award “Hochhausstiftung”, University of Cologne
- 1986 Abbott Microcirculation Award, European Society for Microcirculation
- 1995 Lafon Hemorheology-Microcirculation Award, International Society for Clinical Haemorheology
- 2000 Fellow, European Society of Cardiology
- 2008 Award of the Asian Union for Microcirculation
- 2011 Malpighi Award, European Society for Microcirculation
- 2015 William Harvey Basic Science Lecture and Silver Medal, European Society of Cardiology
- 2015 Kitanomaru Award, 10th World Conf. for Microcirculation, Kyoto, Japan
- 2018 Poiseuille Gold Medal, International Society of Biorheology