Dr Antonia Sambola is an expert in acute coronary syndromes and cardiovascular thrombotic disorders.
She is a senior consultant specialist in acute cardiac care at Hospital Universitari de la Vall d'Hebron in Barcelona, Spain.1, 2
Dr Sambola was awarded a master's degree in statistical and epidemiology sciences in 1987 from Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona. In 1998 and another master's in Coronary Artery Disease from Universitat de Barcelona in 1998.1
She was a Research Fellow in Atherothrombosis at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York (1999 - 2000). Dr Sambola obtained a PhD Cum Laude in Medicine and Surgery from Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona in 1994.1
Dr Sambola works at The Hospital Universitari Vall d’Hebron as a Consultant in Acute Cardiac Care in the Department of Cardiology.1
She is an accredited specialist in acute cardiological care and invasive techniques (ECMO, vascular access and difficult airway) by the European Society of Cardiology. She teaches classes and seminars at the Autonomous University of Medicine of Barcelona as a Clinical Professor. She is also the coordinator of the Master in Translational Biomedical Research at Vall d'Hebron Hospital.3
Dr Sambola has organised several conferences and participated as a moderator in numerous tables nationally and internationally in acute cardiac care, especially in acute coronary syndromes, cardiovascular thrombotic disorders,and cardiovascular disease in women.3
She is the author of 10 book chapters and over 60 publications, including the New England Journal of Medicine, Circulation and Journal American College of Cardiology. Dr Sambola is a board member of the acute cardiac care association of the European Society of Cardiology and leads the Working Group of Women in Cardiology of the Spanish Society of Cardiology.1, 3
- 2008 - 2013: Ex-officio Associate Editor, Cardiovascular Research, European Society of Cardiology
- 2003 - Present: Senior Consultant Specialist in Acute Cardiac Care, Hospital Universitari de la Vall d'Hebron, Barcelona, Spain
- 2014 - Present: Coordinator and Professor, Master's Degree, Translational Biomedical Research., Vall d’Hebron Institute of Research (VHIR), Vall d'Hebron Institut de Recerca
- 2017 - Present: Coordinator, Working Group Women in Cardiology, Spanish Society of Cardiology
Areas of Speciality
- Acute coronary syndromes
- Cardiovascular thrombotic disorders
Dr Antonia Sambola is on the European Cardiology Review Editorial Board.