Prof Justin Beilby is a researcher who currently works as the Deputy Vice Chancellor Research for Torrens University Australia. He is based in Adelaide, Australia.
Prof Justin Beilby completed his Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery, Master of Public Health and Doctor of Medicine qualifications at the University of Adelaide, Australia.
Prof Beilby has worked as the executive dean of the Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Adelaide. As executive dean, he oversaw all undergraduate training in medicine, nursing, dentistry, health sciences, psychology and public health at the University of Adelaide. Prior to that, Professor Beilby held the position of Professor and Head of the Department of General Practice, at the University of Adelaide from 2002 - 2005. Currently Prof Beilby works as Deputy Vice Chancellor Research for Torrens University Australia.2
Prof Beilby has been an active researcher and general practitioner for nearly 30 years. His research has focused on Indigenous health, workforce planning, primary care financing, chronic illness and the quality use of medicines in both urban and rural settings. More recently, his work has been focused on the areas of primary care, community care and aged care. He is currently part of a global team at the NHMRC Centre of Research Excellence in Frailty and Healthy Ageing working to design and develop new models for managing and intervening in the community and general practice.
Prof Beilby supervised the establishment of educational and research partnerships in the United States, India, Malaysia and Thailand. He chaired the establishment of a new global research health service partnership with academic colleagues in South America, Spain, the US and Mexico. He has previously established several international relationships based around respiratory and pharmaco-epidemiology research in the UK and the US.3
- 1975 - 1980: Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS), University of Adelaide
- 1986 - 1991: Master of Public Health (M.P.H.), Tuberculosis among South Australian Aboriginal People, University of Adelaide
- 1986 - 1996: General Practitioner, Crafter Medical Centre
- 1995 - 1999: Doctor of Medicine (M.D.), Budget Holding in Australian General Practice, University of Adelaide
- 1997 - Present: General Practitioner, Family Practice Unit
- 2002 - 2008: Chair, Adelaide to Outback General Practice Training Program Board
- 2002 - 2014: Associate Dean, Rural, Professor of General Practice, Executive Dean of Health Sciences, University of Adelaide
- 2008 - 2010: Commissioner, National Health and Hospital Reform Commission
- 2010 - Present: Director, SAHMRI
- 2011 - 2013: President, Medical Deans Australian & New Zealand
- 2012 - 2013: Clinical Lead, Health Workforce Australia
- 2014 - Present: Director, Novita
- 2015 - Present: Vice Chancellor, Deputy Vice Chancellor Research, Torrens University Australia
- 2016 - Present: Board Member, Eldercare Services
- Fellow of the Australian Institute of Company Directors
- Board Director, Central Adelaide Local HealthNetwork
- Member, South Australian Health and Medical Research Institute Governance Sub Committee
- Member, Assurance and Risk Sub Committee of the SA Ambulance Service
Areas of Speciality
- Chronic disease management
- Workforce planning
- Point- of- care testing
- Primary care financing
Articles by Justin Beilby, Deputy Vice Chancellor Research
Simon Stewart, Amy R Stewart, Laura Waite, et al
Citation: Cardiac Failure Review 2022;8:e04.