Professor of Experimental Cardiology
FAHA FESC MD PhD
Thoraxcentre, Cardiovascular Research School COEUR, University Medical Centre Rotterdam, Rotterdam, the Netherlands
Dr Dirk Duncker attended Erasmus University Rotterdam, and earned his MSc degree in 1984. He interrupted his medical studies to obtain a PhD in Pharmacology in 1988, and went on to complete his medical training in 1989. His research interests include regulation of coronary blood flow and cardiac function in health, as well as a variety of cardiovascular disorders.
Prof Duncker is currently Professor of Experimental Cardiology at the University Medical Center Rotterdam in the Netherlands. Previously, Prof Duncker has worked as a Post-Doctorate Research Fellow in the Laboratory for Experimental Cardiology at Erasmus Medical Center between 1989 – 1991, before travelling to Minessota. Here, he spent three years in the Cardiology Division of the Department of Medicine at the University of Minnesota. Following this, Prof Duncker returned to Rotterdam, where he was appointed Professor of Experimental Cardiology in 2003.
- Professor of Experimental Cardiology, Erasmus MC, Rotterdam, NL, 2003 - Present
- Established Investigator of the Netherlands Heart Foundation, Erasmus MC, Rotterdam, NL, 2001 - 2003
- KNAW Research Fellow, Erasmus MC, Rotterdam, NL, 1995 - 2000
- Senior Post-Doctoral Research Fellow, University of Minnesota, MN, US, 1991 - 1994
- Junior Post-Doctoral Research Fellow, Erasmus MC, Rotterdam, NL, 1989 - 1991
Dr Dirk Duncker is on the Editorial Board of European Cardiology Review.