Dr. Thompson is based in Hartford Connecticut, where he works as Director of Cardiac Catheterization and Interventional Cardiology for Hartford HealthCare.
Dr. Thompson holds an undergraduate degree from the University of Southern Mississippi, a medical degree from the University of Mississippi and a Masters of Medical Science in clinical investigation from the Harvard-Massachusetts Institute of Technology Division of Health Sciences and Technology. He completed his post-doctoral training in clinical cardiology at Brigham and Women’s Hospital/Harvard Medical School and interventional cardiology and endovascular intervention at Massachusetts General Hospital/Harvard Medical School.
Dr. Thompson has held a number of positions since completing his Fellowship at Harvard University in 2003. That same year he started work as Program Director & Director of Cardiac Labs for Dartmouth-Hitchcock in Boston, where he worked for 6 years. He then went on to serve as director, Invasive Cardiology and Vascular Medicine, Yale New Haven Hospital and associate professor of medicine, Yale University School of Medicine. Dr. Thompson has also served as an advisor for many cardiovascular device companies and he participated in the early development of technologies for the treatment of coronary total occlusions, including the BridgePoint coronary chronic total occlusion system acquired by Boston Scientific in 2012.
In 2014 Dr. Thompson took on the role of Senior Vice President & Global Chief Medical Officer for Boston Scientific. He held this position for 8 years, through to December of 2021. At that time he moved to Hartford HealthCare, where he began working as Director of Cardiac Catheterization and Interventional Cardiology.
- 1995 - 1998: Internship and Residency, Internal Medicine, University of Mississippi Medical Center
- 1998 - 2001: Fellowship, Cardiovascular Disease, Harvard University
- 1998 - 2003: Master of Medical Science, Harvard University
- 2001 - 2003: Fellowship - Clinical Investigator's Training Program, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- 2003 - 2009: Program Director & Director of Cardiac Labs, Dartmouth-Hitchcock
- 2009 - 2013: Executive Director - Yale/UCL collaborative, University College London Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
- 2009 - 2013: Executive Director, Multi-National Program Development, Research, Training, Clinical Services, Yale University
- 2009 - 2013: Director Invasive Cardiology & Vascular Medicine, Strategy, Program Development, Yale New Haven Hospital
- 2014 - 2021: Senior Vice President & Global Chief Medical Officer, Executive Leadership, Program Development Boston Scientific
- 2018 - 2021: Director, Interventional Cardiology and Cardiac Catheterization Laboratories, Professor of Medicine, NYU Langone Health
- 2011 - Present: Founder, Non-Profit Education, Best Practices, Coronary Revascularization, CTO Fundamentals
- 2021 - Present: Director, Cardiac Catheterization and Interventional Cardiology, Hartford Healthcare Network, Hartford HealthCare
Areas of Speciality
- Interventional cardiology
- Adult congenital heart disease
- Complex cardiac interventions
- Development of cardiovascular devices
- Combined biologic-and device-based therapies
- Catheter-based techniques for treating advanced cardiovascular disease