Prof Paulus Kirchhof (University Heart and Vascular Center UKE Hamburg, Hamburg, DE) discusses results of the EAST – AFNET 4 Study.
The study prospectively tests the hypothesis that an early, structured rhythm control therapy based on antiarrhythmic drugs and catheter ablation can prevent atrial fibrillation (AF) related complications in patients with AF when compared to usual care.
1. What is EAST – AFNET 4 and what does it aim to answer?
2. What is the design of the trial?
3. How did you address concerns about positive patient selection?
4. What are your key findings?
5. What conclusions can be made?
6. How should this study influence guidelines?
7. What are the take-home messages for practicing physicians?
Recorded remotely from Hamburg, 2020.
Recording Editor: Natascha Wienand
Interviewer: Mirjam Boros