On the 29th September 2014, Radcliffe Cardiology filmed an expert roundtable discussion, comprised of 3 sessions, focused on the emerging field of Transcatheter Mitral Valve Implantation (TMVI). The third and final session focuses on the exciting, emerging field of transcatheter mitral valve interventions. The expert panel discuss both Redo & De Novo implantation, available and emerging technologies, procedural limitations, success rates, complications and patient selection.
The panel for this session comprises:
• Simon Kennon (Chair), London Chest Hospital, London, UK
• Georg Lutter, Christian-Albrechts-University of Kiel, Germany
• Neil E Moat, Royal Brompton & Harefield NHS Trust, Harefield, UK
• Darren Mylotte, Galway University Hospitals, Galway, Ireland
• Lars Søndergaard, Rigshospitalet Copenhagen University Hospital, Denmark
• Nina Wunderlich, Cardiovascular Center Darmstadt, Germany
Radcliffe Cardiology and Interventional Cardiology Review extend their thanks to all panel members.
PROMOTIONAL VIDEO (provided by PHILIPS)
The dissemination of this roundtable footage has been supported by Philips Healthcare. Philips Healthcare has had no involvement or influence in the organisation of this roundtable or the topics discussed
Members of the panel have also provided the following references to aid viewers understanding of the discussion:
07:56-09:07 – Valve-in-Ring Case (Wunderlich) -
- Dvir D, Webb JG, Bleiziffer S et al. Transcatheter aortic valve implantation in failed bioprosthetic surgical valves. JAMA. 2014 Jul;312(2):162-70
- de Weger A, Tavilla G, Ng A et al. Successful Transapical Transcatheter Valve Implantation Within a Dysfunctional Mitral Bioprosthesis J Am Coll Cardiol Img. 2010;3(2):222-223.
- Bapat V, Buellesfeld L, Peterson M et al. Transcatheter mitral valve implantation (TMVI) using the Edwards FORTIS device. EuroIntervention. 2014 Sep;10 Suppl U:U120-8
- Cheung A, Stub D, Moss R et al. Transcatheter mitral valve implantation with Tiara bioprosthesis. EuroIntervention. 2014 Sep;10 Suppl U:U115-9
- Lutter G, Pokorny S, Frank D,et al. Transapical mitral valve implantation: the Lutter valve. Heart Lung Vessel. 2013;5(4):201-6.
- Kliger C. Transcatheter mitral valve devices – functional mechanical designs. Interventional Cardiology Review 2014; 9.1: 49-53.
- de Weger A, Ewe SE, Delgado V, et al. First-in-man implantation of a trans-catheter aortic valve in a mitralannuloplasty ring: novel treatment modality for failed mitral valve repair. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 2011; 39:1054-1056.
- Casselman F, Martens S, De Bruyne B, et al. Reducing operative mortality in valvular reoperations:The ‘‘valve in ring’’ procedure. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2011 May;141(5):1317-8
- Himbert D, Brochet E, Radu C, et al. Transseptal Implantation of a Transcatheter Heart Valve in a Mitral Annuloplasty Ring to Treat Mitral Repair Failure. Circ Cardiovasc Interv 2011; 4: 396-398.
- Dahle G, Fiane AE, Rein K-A. Transapical 29-mm Edwards SAPIEN-XT Aortic Valve in a 34-mm Mitral Annuloplasty Ring. Innovations & Volume 7, Number 4, July/August 2012: 290-4
- Descoutures F, Himbert D, Maisano F,et al. Transcatheter valve-in-ring implantation after failure of surgical mitral repair. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 2013 Jul; 44(1),e8-e15.
- Wunderlich NC, Kische S, Ince H, et al. Transcatheter valve-in-ring implantation after a failed surgical mitral repair using a transseptal approach and a venpo-arterial loop for valve placement. Cathet. Cardiovasc. Intervent. 2014, 84: 1202–1208.
- DeBacker O, Piazza N, Banai S, et al. Percutaneous Transcatheter Mitral Valve Replacement: An Overview of Devices in Preclinical and Early Clinical Evaluation. Circ Cardiovasc Interv 2014; 7: 400-409
- Piazza N, Bolling S, Moat N, Medtronic transcatheter mitral valve replacement, Eurointervention 2014 Sep;10 Suppl U:U112-4
Other Useful Resources
- Sapien XT Valve (Edwards) http://www.edwards.com/eu/products/transcathetervalves/pages/sapienxt.aspx
- Tiara Valve (Neovasc) http://www.neovasc.com/products/neovasc-tiara/
- CardiaQ Valve (CardiaQ) http://www.cardiaq.com/internationalhome/technology.html
- Tendyne Valve (Tendyne) http://www.tendyne.com/our-products--tendyne.html