Simon Kennon, Interventional Cardiologist and Head of the Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implantation Programme, London Chest Hospital, London, UK
Georg Lutter, Christian-Albrechts-University of Kiel, Germany
Neil E Moat, Royal Brompton & Harefield NHS Trust, UK
Darren Mylotte, Galway University Hospitals, Eire
Lars Søndergaard, Rigshospitalet University Hospital, Denmark
Nina Wunderlich, Cardiovascular Center Darmstadt, Germany
The third and final session focuses on the exciting, emerging field of transcatheter mitral valve interventions. The expert panel discuss both Redo & De Novo implantation, available and emerging technologies, procedural limitations, success rates, complications and patient selection.
This educational activity is intended for an international audience of interventional cardiologists, cardiac surgeons and heart failure specialists. It would also be of benefit to cardiologists looking to increase their knowledge on this novel area of cardiovascular intervention.
Members of the panel have provided the following references to aid viewers understanding of the discussion:
07:56-09:07 – Valve-in-Ring Case (Wunderlich) -
- Dvir D, Webb JG, Bleiziffer S et al. Transcatheter aortic valve implantation in failed bioprosthetic surgical valves. JAMA. 2014 Jul;312(2):162-70
- de Weger A, Tavilla G, Ng A et al. Successful Transapical Transcatheter Valve Implantation Within a Dysfunctional Mitral Bioprosthesis J Am Coll Cardiol Img. 2010;3(2):222-223.
- Bapat V, Buellesfeld L, Peterson M et al. Transcatheter mitral valve implantation (TMVI) using the Edwards FORTIS device. EuroIntervention. 2014 Sep;10 Suppl U:U120-8
- Cheung A, Stub D, Moss R et al. Transcatheter mitral valve implantation with Tiara bioprosthesis. EuroIntervention. 2014 Sep;10 Suppl U:U115-9
- Lutter G, Pokorny S, Frank D,et al. Transapical mitral valve implantation: the Lutter valve. Heart Lung Vessel. 2013;5(4):201-6.
- Kliger C. Transcatheter mitral valve devices – functional mechanical designs. Interventional Cardiology Review 2014; 9.1: 49-53.
- de Weger A, Ewe SE, Delgado V, et al. First-in-man implantation of a trans-catheter aortic valve in a mitralannuloplasty ring: novel treatment modality for failed mitral valve repair. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 2011; 39:1054-1056.
- Casselman F, Martens S, De Bruyne B, et al. Reducing operative mortality in valvular reoperations:The ‘‘valve in ring’’ procedure. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2011 May;141(5):1317-8
- Himbert D, Brochet E, Radu C, et al. Transseptal Implantation of a Transcatheter Heart Valve in a Mitral Annuloplasty Ring to Treat Mitral Repair Failure. Circ Cardiovasc Interv 2011; 4: 396-398.
- Dahle G, Fiane AE, Rein K-A. Transapical 29-mm Edwards SAPIEN-XT Aortic Valve in a 34-mm Mitral Annuloplasty Ring. Innovations & Volume 7, Number 4, July/August 2012: 290-4
- Descoutures F, Himbert D, Maisano F,et al. Transcatheter valve-in-ring implantation after failure of surgical mitral repair. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 2013 Jul; 44(1),e8-e15.
- Wunderlich NC, Kische S, Ince H, et al. Transcatheter valve-in-ring implantation after a failed surgical mitral repair using a transseptal approach and a venpo-arterial loop for valve placement. Cathet. Cardiovasc. Intervent. 2014, 84: 1202–1208.
- DeBacker O, Piazza N, Banai S, et al. Percutaneous Transcatheter Mitral Valve Replacement: An Overview of Devices in Preclinical and Early Clinical Evaluation. Circ Cardiovasc Interv 2014; 7: 400-409
- Piazza N, Bolling S, Moat N, Medtronic transcatheter mitral valve replacement, Eurointervention 2014 Sep;10 Suppl U:U112-4
Other Useful Resources