Professor Basil Lewis qualified at the University of the Witwatersrand in Johannesburg, South Africa, after which he continued his postgraduate training in Los Angeles, California.
Prof Lewis is currently Director of the Cardiovascular Clinical Research Institute of the Lady Davis Carmel Medical Center. His scientific interests currently focus on the conduct, practice, and teaching of clinical trials in the field of cardiovascular medicine, diabetes and lipidology.
Prof Lewis is a Past-President of the Israel Heart Society, Past-Chairman of the European Society of Cardiology Working Group on Cardiovascular Pharmacotherapy and was Founding Governor of the American College of Cardiology Chapter in Israel.
Prof Lewis has edited and co-edited 11 books and has authored over 500 publications. He is associate editor of the European Heart Journal: Cardiovascular Pharmacotherapy, and is an international advisor of European Cardiology Review Journal.
- Associate Editor, European Heart Journal: Cardiovascular Pharmacotherapy, Jan 2015 – Present
- Cardiovascular Clinical Research Institute at Lady Davis Carmel Medical Center, 2013 – Present
- Research Affairs and Cardiovascular Clinical Research Institute at Lady Davis Carmel Medical Center, 2013- Present
- Governor, ACC, Israel Chapter, 2011 - 2015
- Louis Edelstein Professor of Medicine and Medical Research, Technion-Israel Institute of Technology, 2002 – 2013
- President, Israel Heart Society, 2007 - 2009
Prof Lewis was born in Springs, South Africa.
Prof Basil Lewis is an International Advisor of European Cardiology Review.