Impaired glucose regulation (IGR) is associated with detrimental cardiovascular outcomes such as cardiovascular disease risk factors (CVD risk factors) or intima-media thickness (IMT). Our aim was to examine whether these associations are mediated by body mass index (BMI), waist circumference (waist) or fasting serum insulin (insulin) in a population in the African region.
Major CVD risk factors (systolic blood pressure, smoking, LDL-cholesterol, HDL-cholesterol) were measured in a random sample of adults aged 25-64 in the Seychelles (n=1255, participation rate: 80.2%). According to the criteria of the American Diabetes Association, IGR was divided in four ordered categories: 1) normal fasting glucose (NFG), 2) impaired fasting glucose (IFG) and normal glucose tolerance (IFG/NGT), 3) IFG and impaired glucose tolerance (IFG/IGT), and 4) diabetes mellitus (DM). Carotid and femoral IMT was assessed by ultrasound (n=496).
Age-adjusted levels of the major CVD risk factors worsened gradually across IGR categories (NFG < IFG/NGT < IFG/IGT < DM), particularly HDL-cholesterol and blood pressure (p for trend <0.001). These relationships were marginally attenuated upon further adjustment for waist, BMI or insulin (whether considered alone or combined) and most of these relationships remained significant. With regards to IMT, the association was null with IFG/NGT, weak with IFG/IGT and stronger with DM (all more markedly at femoral than carotid levels). The associations between IMT and IFG/IGT or DM (adjusted by age and major CVD risk factors) decreased only marginally upon further adjustment for BMI, waist or insulin. Further adjustment for family history of diabetes did not alter the results.
We found graded relationships between IGR categories and both major CVD risk factors and carotid/femoral IMT. These relationships were only partly accounted for by BMI, waist and insulin. This suggests that increased CVD-risk associated with IGR is also mediated by factors other than the considered markers of adiposity and insulin resistance. The results also imply that IGR and associated major CVD risk factors should be systematically screened and appropriately managed.
- Yach D, Stuckler D, Brownell KD: Epidemiologic and economic consequences of the global epidemics of obesity and diabetes. Nat Med 2006, 12:62-66.
- Lorenzo C, Williams K, Hunt KJ, Haffner SM: The National Cholesterol Education Program-Adult Treatment Panel III, International Diabetes Federation, and World Health Organization Definitions of the Metabolic Syndrome as Predictors of Incident Cardiovascular Disease and Diabetes. Diabetes Care 2007, 30:8-13.
- WHO Expert Committee on Diabetes Mellitus: second report. World Health Organ Tech Rep Ser 1980, 646:1-80.
- American Diabetes Association: Diagnosis and classification of diabetes mellitus. Diabetes Care 2004, 27:S5-S10.
- Unwin N, Shaw J, Zimmet P, Alberti KG: Impaired glucose tolerance and impaired fasting glycaemia: the current status on definition and intervention. Diabet Med 2002, 19:708-723.
- Edelstein SL, Knowler WC, Bain RP, Andres R, Barrett-Connor EL, Dowse GK, Haffner SM, Pettitt DJ, Sorkin JD, Muller DC, Collins VR, Hamman RF: Predictors of progression from impaired glucose tolerance to NIDDM: an analysis of six prospective studies. Diabetes 1997, 46:701-710.
- Barr EL, Zimmet PZ, Welborn TA, Jolley D, Magliano DJ, Dunstan DW, Cameron AJ, Dwyer T, Taylor HR, Tonkin AM, Wong TY, McNeil J, Shaw JE: Risk of cardiovascular and all-cause mortality in individuals with diabetes mellitus, impaired fasting glucose, and impaired glucose tolerance: the Australian Diabetes, Obesity, and Lifestyle Study (AusDiab). Circulation 2007, 116:151-157.
- Muntner P, He J, Chen J, Fonseca V, Whelton PK: Prevalence of non-traditional cardiovascular disease risk factors among persons with impaired fasting glucose, impaired glucose tolerance, diabetes, and the metabolic syndrome: analysis of the Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES III). Ann Epidemiol 2004, 14:686-695.
- Tominaga M, Eguchi H, Manaka H, Igarashi K, Kato T, Sekikawa A: Impaired glucose tolerance is a risk factor for cardiovascular disease, but not impaired fasting glucose. The Funagata Diabetes Study. Diabetes Care 1999, 22:920-924.
- Meigs JB, Muller DC, Nathan DM, Blake DR, Andres R: The natural history of progression from normal glucose tolerance to type 2 diabetes in the Baltimore Longitudinal Study of Aging. Diabetes 2003, 52:1475-1484.
- Hanefeld M, Koehler C, Fuecker K, Henkel E, Schaper F, Temelkova- Kurktschiev T: Insulin secretion and insulin sensitivity pattern is different in isolated impaired glucose tolerance and impaired fasting glucose: the risk factor in Impaired Glucose Tolerance for Atherosclerosis and Diabetes study. Diabetes Care 2003, 26:868-874.
- Kendall DM, Sutherland DE, Najarian JS, Goetz FC, Robertson RP: Effects of hemipancreatectomy on insulin secretion and glucose tolerance in healthy humans. N Engl J Med 1990, 322:898-903.
- Tripathy D, Carlsson M, Almgren P, Isomaa B, Taskinen MR, Tuomi T, Groop LC: Insulin secretion and insulin sensitivity in relation to glucose tolerance: lessons from the Botnia Study. Diabetes 2000, 49:975-980.
- Carnevale Schianca GP, Rossi A, Sainaghi PP, Maduli E, Bartoli E: The significance of impaired fasting glucose versus impaired glucose tolerance: importance of insulin secretion and resistance. Diabetes Care 2003, 26:1333-1337.
- Staub D, Meyerhans A, Bundi B, Schmid HP, Frauchiger B: Prediction of cardiovascular morbidity and mortality: comparison of the internal carotid artery resistive index with the common carotid artery intima-media thickness. Stroke 2006, 37:800-805.
- Graner M, Varpula M, Kahri J, Salonen RM, Nyyssonen K, Nieminen MS, Taskinen MR, Syvanne M: Association of carotid intimamedia thickness with angiographic severity and extent of coronary artery disease. Am J Cardiol 2006, 97:624-629.
- Prati P, Vanuzzo D, Casaroli M, Bader G, Mos L, Pilotto L, Canciani L, Ruscio M, Touboul PJ: Determinants of carotid plaque occurrence. A long-term prospective population study: the San Daniele Project. Cerebrovasc Dis 2006, 22:416-422.
- Vaudo G, Marchesi S, Siepi D, Brozzetti M, Mannarino MR, Pirro M, Schillaci G, Ciuffetti G, Lupattelli G, Mannarino E: Metabolic syndrome and preclinical atherosclerosis: focus on femoral arteries. Metabolism 2007, 56:541-546.
- Bovet P, Shamlaye C, Gabriel A, Riesen W, Paccaud F: Prevalence of cardiovascular risk factors in a middle-income country and estimated cost of a treatment strategy. BMC Public Health 2006, 6:9.
- Bovet P, Faeh D, Gabriel A, Tappy L: The prediction of insulin resistance with serum triglyceride and high-density lipoprotein cholesterol levels in an East African population. Arch Intern Med 2006, 166:1236-1237.
- Faeh D, William J, Tappy L, Ravussin E, Bovet P: Prevalence, awareness and control of diabetes in the Seychelles and relationship with excess body weight. BMC Public Health 2007, 7:163.
- CIA World Factbook 2005 [https://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/ factbook/index.html].
- World Health Organisation - Regional Office for Africa. 2005.
- Statistical abstracts. Management & Information Systems Division, Victoria, Seychelles, 2004. .
- Management & Information Systems Division. Victoria, Seychelles ; 2004.
- Shemesh T, Rowley KG, Shephard M, Piers LS, O'Dea K: Agreement between laboratory results and on-site pathology testing using Bayer DCA2000+ and Cholestech LDX point-ofcare methods in remote Australian Aboriginal communities. Clin Chim Acta 2006, 367:69-76.
- Rheney CC, Kirk JK: Performance of three blood glucose meters. Ann Pharmacother 2000, 34:317-321.
- Kastelein JJ, de Groot E, Sankatsing R: Atherosclerosis measured by B-mode ultrasonography: effect of statin therapy on disease progression. Am J Med 2004, 116 Suppl 6A:31S-36S.
- Depairon M, Chessex S, Sudre P, Rodondi N, Doser N, Chave JP, Riesen W, Nicod P, Darioli R, Telenti A, Mooser V: Premature atherosclerosis in HIV-infected individuals--focus on protease inhibitor therapy. Aids 2001, 15:329-334.
- Redberg RF, Vogel RA, Criqui MH, Herrington DM, Lima JA, Roman MJ: 34th Bethesda Conference: Task force #3--What is the spectrum of current and emerging techniques for the noninvasive measurement of atherosclerosis? J Am Coll Cardiol 2003, 41:1886-1898.
- Tang R, Hennig M, Bond MG, Hollweck R, Mancia G, Zanchetti A: Quality control of B-mode ultrasonic measurement of carotid artery intima-media thickness: the European Lacidipine Study on Atherosclerosis. J Hypertens 2005, 23:1047-1054.
- Ahmad OB, Boschi-Pinto C, Lopez AD, Murray CJL, Lozano R, Inoue M: Age standardization of rates: a new WHO standard. GPE Discussion Paper Series: No31 2005, EIP/GPE/EBD, World Health Organization:.
- Janssen I, Katzmarzyk PT, Ross R: Waist circumference and not body mass index explains obesity-related health risk. Am J Clin Nutr 2004, 79:379-384.
- Wilson PW, Meigs JB, Sullivan L, Fox CS, Nathan DM, D'Agostino RB Sr.: Prediction of incident diabetes mellitus in middle-aged adults: the Framingham Offspring Study. Arch Intern Med 2007,
- Romero-Corral A, Montori VM, Somers VK, Korinek J, Thomas RJ, Allison TG, Mookadam F, Lopez-Jimenez F: Association of bodyweight with total mortality and with cardiovascular events in coronary artery disease: a systematic review of cohort studies. Lancet 2006, 368:666-678.
- McLaughlin T, Abbasi F, Lamendola C, Reaven G: Heterogeneity in the prevalence of risk factors for cardiovascular disease and type 2 diabetes mellitus in obese individuals: effect of differences in insulin sensitivity. Arch Intern Med 2007, 167:642-648.
- Hotamisligil GS: Inflammation and metabolic disorders. Nature 2006, 444:860-867.
- Cardellini M, Marini MA, Frontoni S, Hribal ML, Andreozzi F, Perticone F, Federici M, Lauro D, Sesti G: Carotid artery intima-media thickness is associated with insulin-mediated glucose disposal in nondiabetic normotensive offspring of type 2 diabetic patients. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 2007, 292:E347-52.
- Ratner R, Goldberg R, Haffner S, Marcovina S, Orchard T, Fowler S, Temprosa M: Impact of intensive lifestyle and metformin therapy on cardiovascular disease risk factors in the diabetes prevention program. Diabetes Care 2005, 28:888-894.
- Pereira JA, Lazarin MA, Pareja JC, de Souza A, Muscelli E: Insulin resistance in nondiabetic morbidly obese patients: effect of bariatric surgery. Obes Res 2003, 11:1495-1501.
- Zhang YF, Hong J, Zhan WW, Li XY, Gu WQ, Yang YS, Xu M, Ning G: Hyperglycaemia after glucose loading is a major predictor of preclinical atherosclerosis in nondiabetic subjects. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 2006, 64:153-157.
- Hanefeld M, Koehler C, Henkel E, Fuecker K, Schaper F, Temelkova- Kurktschiev T: Post-challenge hyperglycaemia relates more strongly than fasting hyperglycaemia with carotid intimamedia thickness: the RIAD Study. Risk Factors in Impaired Glucose Tolerance for Atherosclerosis and Diabetes. Diabet Med 2000, 17:835-840.
- Sigurdardottir V, Fagerberg B, Wikstrand J, Schmidt C, Hulthe J: Circulating oxidized low-density lipoprotein is associated with echolucent plaques in the femoral artery independently of hsCRP in 61-year-old men. Atherosclerosis 2007, 190:187-193.
- Bansilal S, Farkouh ME, Fuster V: Role of insulin resistance and hyperglycemia in the development of atherosclerosis. Am J Cardiol 2007, 99:6B-14B.
- Pittas AG, Joseph NA, Greenberg AS: Adipocytokines and insulin resistance. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2004, 89:447-452.
- Romano M, Guagnano MT, Pacini G, Vigneri S, Falco A, Marinopiccoli M, Manigrasso MR, Basili S, Davi G: Association of inflammation markers with impaired insulin sensitivity and coagulative activation in obese healthy women. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2003, 88:5321-5326.
- Kim JA, Montagnani M, Koh KK, Quon MJ: Reciprocal relationships between insulin resistance and endothelial dysfunction: molecular and pathophysiological mechanisms. Circulation 2006, 113:1888-1904.
- Novoa FJ, Boronat M, Saavedra P, Diaz-Cremades JM, Varillas VF, La Roche F, Alberiche MP, Carrillo A: Differences in cardiovascular risk factors, insulin resistance, and insulin secretion in individuals with normal glucose tolerance and in subjects with impaired glucose regulation: the Telde Study. Diabetes Care 2005, 28:2388-2393.
- Shaw JE, Zimmet PZ, de Courten M, Dowse GK, Chitson P, Gareeboo H, Hemraj F, Fareed D, Tuomilehto J, Alberti KG: Impaired fasting glucose or impaired glucose tolerance. What best predicts future diabetes in Mauritius? Diabetes Care 1999, 22:399-402.
- Festa A, D'Agostino R Jr., Hanley AJ, Karter AJ, Saad MF, Haffner SM: Differences in insulin resistance in nondiabetic subjects with isolated impaired glucose tolerance or isolated impaired fasting glucose. Diabetes 2004, 53:1549-1555.
- Weyer C, Bogardus C, Pratley RE: Metabolic characteristics of individuals with impaired fasting glucose and/or impaired glucose tolerance. Diabetes 1999, 48:2197-2203.
- Festa A, Hanley AJ, Tracy RP, D'Agostino R Jr., Haffner SM: Inflammation in the prediabetic state is related to increased insulin resistance rather than decreased insulin secretion. Circulation 2003, 108:1822-1830.
- Haffner SM: Pre-diabetes, insulin resistance, inflammation and CVD risk. Diabetes Res Clin Pract 2003, 61 Suppl 1:S9-S18.
- Gabir MM, Hanson RL, Dabelea D, Imperatore G, Roumain J, Bennett PH, Knowler WC: The 1997 American Diabetes Association and 1999 World Health Organization criteria for hyperglycemia in the diagnosis and prediction of diabetes. Diabetes Care 2000, 23:1108-1112.
- Matthews DR, Hosker JP, Rudenski AS, Naylor BA, Treacher DF, Turner RC: Homeostasis model assessment: insulin resistance and beta-cell function from fasting plasma glucose and insulin concentrations in man. Diabetologia 1985, 28:412-419.